1. Reading Action Chain: Teacher places the bed, refrigerator, garage, and sack on the board. Students receive a card and prop. Students are instructed to read the contents of their action card and follow the directions at the given time. Teacher reads the story script pausing when indicated in the script. The student with the appropriate action card then follows those directions to advance the story on the board. (see page
2. Character Map: Students write any and all words that they can think of on the character map graphic organizer. The teacher and class discuss the character map. For example students might say "animal, méchant, vert" for the alligator. Or they might say a complete sentence such as, "Le garçon a peur. de l'alligator" (see page
3. The teacher retells the story with errors. All students indicate these by privately signaling thumbs up and down. Teacher calls on someone indicating the correct signal to make the corrections in French. (see page
4. Students write a sentence about the story that is either true or false. They read their sentence and a volunteer identifies it as "vrai" or "faux".
5. In groups the students follow the pattern to write a note warning another teacher in the school about a danger. They then post it on that teacher's door and record their reaction. (see page 35)